The Prairie du Chien Area Chamber of Commerce was formed in 1952 and is a membership based organization comprised of businesses & professionals who have joined together to serve as the "unifying force" which supports the interests of commerce in the Prairie du Chien Area. The area's economic wellbeing is directly related to the caliber of work done by the Chamber of Commerce.
The Chamber's mission is to enhance the quality of life, promote and preserve local resources, and foster business growth in Prairie du Chien and the surrounding area.
Benefits and Objectives of the Chamber include:
The Chamber is based on voluntary membership by businesses and individuals in the area, who first and foremost look to the Chamber to achieve goals which cannot be achieved by individual businesses. It unites businesses, professional firms, community organizations and individuals into a focused group for the betterment of the Prairie du Chien area.
- Area promotion/marketing/public relations.
- A business voice in local/state/national decision making.
- Develop business opportunities.
- Establish and promote an area identity.
- Establish a data bank of current, correct and understandable information.
- Work with the local, state and national public sector.
Secondary, the Chamber seeks through application of primary benefit programs to establish direct tangible and identifiable value to the Chamber of Commerce memberships.
Examples of these activities include:
- Website listing
- Chamber Dollar Program
- Business referrals (restaurants, shops, services, motels, attractions).
- Social networking opportunities
- New business greetings and ribbon cuttings.
- Member brochure distribution & guide sheets located in the Regional Tourism Information Center.
- Maintenance of a full time information center and Nationwide 800 lines.
In addition, the Chamber's collective credibility has been lent to a number of specific causes which, as a consequence, have resulted in the establishment of:
Prairie du Chien Regional Tourism Center/Travel Wisconsin Center
The Prairie du Chien Area Chamber of Commerce in collaboration with the Wisconsin Department of Tourism has combined efforts on the promotion of the tourism industry. In that capacity, they promote local, regional and state-wide information. Materials given to the public help visitors choose Wisconsin as their travel destination.
The Prairie du Chien Regional Tourism Center/Travel Wisconsin Center is open 7 days a week May 1st through October 31st from 9 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. November 1st through April 30th 9:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. Monday – Friday.
Prairie du Chien Economic Development Corporation
The Prairie du Chien Economic Development Corporation was established as a private entity designed to work with the public sector to maintain and enhance the City of Prairie du Chien. As the marketing arm for the City of Prairie du Chien, the Prairie du Chien Economic Development Corporation (EDC) mission is to provide a comprehensive, area-wide approach to economic development with the objectives of quality job creation, business retention and improved quality of life.