St. Feriole Island
Two approaches to the island, Blackhawk Avenue entrance and Washington Street entrance, Prairie du Chien, WI
Leisure bicycling and walking can be enjoyed on St. Feriole Island. The island is the area of earliest settlement and activity in Prairie du Chien. Site of the Battle of Prairie du Chien during the War of 1812 and of the first Fort Crawford where three important Indian treaties were signed. It is known to locals as the Fourth Ward, where residential neighborhoods stood, until it was relocated following the record flood of 1965. St. Feriole Island is also home to the Villa Louis, the Dousman family estate built on the site of Fort Crawford. The island contains Lawler Park on the riverfront, and is a host to annual events including the Prairie Villa Rendezvous, Prairie Dog Blues Fest, and the Villa Louis Carriage Classic. Scenic location for watching ducks and eagles in season. There are boat landings and picnic areas on the island.
Wyalusing State Park
10 miles south of Prairie du Chien, WI
Bicycles are allowed on the park roads and designated trails. Trails that are open for bicycling are indicated on the map. These trails include the Mississippi Ridge trail and Whitetail Meadows trail. A section of Walnut Springs trail from the Naturalist's office south to the Whitetail Meadows trail parking lot is also open to bicycles. The park features views of the historic junction of the Wisconsin and Mississippi Rivers where the first Europeans, Marquette and Jolliet, landed in 1673. Has 110 family campsites, group camping facilities, picnic facilities, 22 miles of hiking and nature trails, and a year round naturalist. Naturalist programs held throughout the year. Astronomy educational programs held the second and fourth Saturdays, weather and moon phase permitting. Contact the park for details. Admission charged.